Many high school students, specifically juniors and seniors feel extremely stressed about their futures and choosing the correct career path. Students feel extremely stressed that the careers they are choosing to study will define them for the rest of their lives.
A simple piece of advice is to Take it easy. I have some tips and tricks that will help you choose an excellent career.
- Learn to assess yourself. Be aware of your values, interests, skills, and aptitudes in combination with your personality type. Think about what occupations are of good fit for you, and others that seem completely off. You should even go a step further and reach out to your school’s counselor (Ms. Carolina Blanco) or career advisor, to navigate this process.
2. Make a list of occupations to explore: Many students are only aware of some careers that have long existed in the world today, such as Mathematics, Law and Writing careers….but did you know that Art Therapists, Body painters and Food Scientists exist today? In order to choose the correct career, you must be fully aware of all the possible careers in the world that exist which could be a good fit for you.
3. Create a “shorter list”: Narrow down your previous list even more. Based on what you have learned from research so far, begin to eliminate careers that you do not want to pursue any further. You should end up with fewer than 5 possible careers on your ‘shorter list.’ Get rid of any occupations if you are unable or unwilling to fill the educational requirements.
4. Conduct informational interviews: Make more in-depth research of your ‘shorter list’ possible careers. Meet with people who work in the occupations that you are interested in.
5. Make your career choice: Pick one choice that will bring you the most satisfaction. Realize that you can always change your mind and start all over, many people change their careers many time over their lifetimes.