What is consumerism? Why is it a problem?
Consumerism is “a social and economic order that encourages the acquisition of goods and services in ever-increasing amounts.” Is a lot of money on goods and services provided by the market. It is excessive consumption and purchase of goods and services. The tendency to purchase goods and services began in the age of industrialization. Many people believe that happiness depends on obtaining more material possession. It creates a never-ending cycle of buying and selling, allowing the economy to grow. Increased production levels lead to more jobs. Additional employment leads to better wages in local communities. Higher wages lead to more spending. Consumerism becomes a problem when consumption becomes excessive, leading to pollution problems. Also, it can lead to resource depletion due to widespread conspicuous consumption, and there can be problems with waste disposal from excess consumer goods and packaging.
Eight tips on how one can reduce “over consumerism” at home?
- Expand the lifetime of your things by repairing them.
- Limit temptations by avoiding superfluous shopping.
- DIY old things and turn them into something new.
- Swapping things you no longer need with family and friends.
- Avoid plastic wraps or plastic in general. Use some glass containers (use materials that last longer).
- “Buy a 2L, except for eleven units of a 200ML,” do not get individual units for everything. Try getting the larger product; it is the same and will probably last longer.
- Think before spending, think what you will use it for?
- Donate or sell things that are in good shape.
If you are interested in learning more ways to help reduce the amount you consume daily, consider following this Tik Tok account for more tips!!!